Monday, December 26, 2011

Plantinga Preview

I've begun reading Alvin Plantinga's latest work, Where the Conflict Really Lies: Science, Religion & Naturalism. In it, Plantinga argues that the alleged conflicts between theistic religion and science are only superficial; that is, deep down there is a deep concord between theistic belief (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) and science. In fact, the scientific endeavor only makes sense from a theistic point of view.

Then, he turns the argument back on philosophical naturalists--those who presuppose 1) that there is no God and 2) that all natural processes (i.e. evolution) are completely unguided. This atheistic naturalism is held by the likes of Daniel Dennet, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and the late Christopher Hitchens (known popularly as the "Four Horsemen of the New Atheism").

The ultimate discord is not between religion and science but between naturalism and science.

I'll post a short review of the book when I've finished it.

Alvin Plantinga is the John A. O'Brien Professor of Philosophy at Notre Dame University and a notable Reformed (Calvinist) Christian.

Note: When I review a book, I'm not endorsing every idea in it. Thinking Christians must learn to read widely and take truth wherever they find it, leaving behind that which is not true. In this case, Plantinga is a theistic evolutionist, a point with which I entirely disagree; however, such a disagreement should not invalidate his entire argument.

5 comments:

  1. This post was short and sweet, but I am interested in your thoughts after you have finished the book. I have often wondered why it seems to be science or religion (lumping together I know) when they seem compatible. I know several scientists who are strong Christians and defenders of their faith.

    Anna Cain

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article was very interesting because I have never heard of this book or this author. I really think you can be a believer of science and Christianity because they can fit together. There are many that believe in this. Please comment when you get done reading it I'm interested in finding out how the end of it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I think that science and Christianity go hand in hand so to speak. You can't have science without Christianity (Creation; and Christianity makes more sense (to me at least) when there is scientific evidence pointing towards a Creator. I think scientists and athiests alike are just to stubborn to admit that God was the one that created the world.

    Allison Hopkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a compelling read. While I have always seen a correlation with God and science, being a believer. It would be interseting to see what Plantinga considers to be the string hold these concepts together.
    -Audra Staley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, an article on my old friend Al (we go way back). He really is a great philosopher, and quick to respond to emails as well. I'm sure he did an excellent job of showing that there isn't really any conflict between science and the Christian faith. Actually I just watched a debate on youtube on this very topic well, the start of a debate (the atheists were being extremely close minded and I got mad and had to stop).
    Michael Gattis, close personal friend of Alvin Plantinga

    ReplyDelete