Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Should Christians include Santa in Christmas?

Santa Claus is an enduring figment of western society's collective imagination, designed to deliver a certain kind of annual euphoria to children and moral leverage to parents. The historiography of jolly ol' St. Nick is about as varied and complicated as that of the U.S. Civil War, but certain historical outlines become fairly obvious upon observation (see the video below). But, this post is not about the history of Santa, as it is largely irrelevant. What matters to the question of whether Christians should include Santa in Christmas is what Santa is now.

Santa as narrative

"Santa" is more than a crimson-clad cookiephile; he's the personification of an entire narrative. His story includes Mrs. Claus, tiny working elves, a flying sleigh and reindeer, moral omniscience, and a magical toy factory at the North Pole. He has a jolly laugh, rosy red cheeks, and a twinkle in his eye. He has a grandfatherly sweetness about him that children can trust. Santa is a sweet and fun story for children.

A brief History of Santa Claus

What is most convenient about the modern (American) Santa is that he is essentially secular. That is, he appeals to most people, regardless of religious belief. Everyone loves Christmas, with its gift giving, festive music, and diversion from the otherwise-depressing winter solstice. But, not everyone loves Jesus or the Christian religion. (This should be no surprise to anyone.) Santa provides a secular narrative backbone to the cultural tradition of Christmas. This is necessary, because traditions do not survive without stories. At least for young children, who are credulous by nature, Santa keeps the tradition of Christmas alive in an increasingly secular culture. Without some associated story, we would all lose Christmas.

Secular Christmas?

Is a secular Christmas so bad? After all, the Bible doesn't command that we celebrate Christmas. While Jesus' birth is described in the Bible (Luke 2:16ff), it doesn't mention the exact date. In fact, we're not even certain of the year, much less the month, of Jesus' birth. [1] If Christmas were completely secular to begin with, it is not clear that it would be immoral to celebrate it, so long as we avoided pagan Sun worship and the excesses of greedy consumerism. It could be a secular, civic institution like Thanksgiving. It would, of course, not be called Christ-mas. Perhaps it would be called "Festivus," as in the sitcom Seinfeld. If Christ had never been any part of Christmas, it would not necessarily be wrong to celebrate a gift giving solstice festival.


"Festivus" is an entirely secularized version of
Christmas that was invented by George Castanza's
father. The reason it doesn't work is that it doesn't
have a compelling narrative.

 Are we lying to our children?

Is it immoral to perpetuate the myth of Santa Claus with children? Again, not necessarily. The distinction between fiction and non-fiction is not so clear for young children anyway. Do 3-year-old little boys know that Bob the Builder, Dora, Barney, and Ronald McDonald aren't real? It seems unlikely that a young child would even understand the category of "not real." At the point that a child does begin to understand the concept of "not real," parents who want to keep the myth alive must take increasingly drastic steps to conceal the truth, until it becomes too absurd to keep it up. Then, the story ends. It is at this point--when the child begins to understand "not real"--that parents are faced with a real moral dilemma. How far is too far to push the myth? When is the age of [parental] accountability? [2]

The problem with Santa

There is a problem with the Christian use of Santa, however. By comparison to the Incarnation of Christ, the narrative of Santa is paltry (pitiful, small, slight, inconsequential, puny, measly, etc...[3]). The intrusion of the divine upon the mundane in order to sacrificially save those who rejected him as Father and Creator is a narrative without equal, and yet Christians have too often substituted the relatively meager Santa story. How many Christian children know as much about the birth and life of Jesus as they know about Santa, the reindeer, and the tiny elves? How many parents who have walked on the roof of their homes to sound like Santa have gone to equal lengths to make the Gospel come alive?

Why spend so much effort keeping up the Santa story and so little teaching children about the magnificently beautiful Incarnation? Has familiarity bred contempt for the story of the Incarnation? Have we lost the ability to tell good stories? Or, have we quit reading and reflecting upon the Incarnation? It is beyond the scope of this post to diagnose the cause, but the prognosis is clear -- substituting Santa for the far superior and historically real Incarnation of Jesus inhibits our children's ability to appreciate the beauty of God's narrative.

Christmas is a fun and memorable holiday, which is tailor-made for children. What an opportunity Christian parents are given every single year to communicate the Gospel to their children. Why wouldn't parents, teachers, and other children's workers take maximum advantage of this holiday to penetrate their young hearts and minds with the glory of God's gospel?

The problem is not Santa per se but that the Santa narrative is an unnecessary adulteration of a better story. (For a reminder of the story, please listen to and reflect on the video below.)

This is a particularly poignant telling of the Gospel
by Christian theologian R.C. Sproul of Ligonier
Ministries. After hearing the Gospel it is simply
difficult to care much about Santa.
--------------------
[1] That's not to say that we aren't certain of his birth itself. The fact of Jesus' birth, death, and life enjoys a great deal of historical support, not the least of which is the historical document of the Bible itself. The historical evidence suggests that Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus (the Incarnation) very early, but the date of December 25 was instituted later, because that date happened to be the date of a winter solstice festival, which was a time to worship the Sol Invictus (The Unconquerable Sun).  Some Christians bemoaned this assimilation of that date into Christian tradition while others accepted it as an opportunity to baptize a pagan holiday. The Catholic Encyclopedia has a well-documented account of the historiography of the Christmas holiday.
[2] I'm of the opinion that, when a child does have a firm grip on "real" and "not real," at whatever age that may be, keeping up the act becomes increasingly immoral.
[3] Thank you, thesaurus.com.

32 comments:

  1. Great post. Just an observation: a small minority of Christians have a faith conscience which prohibits celebrating a religious holiday not expressly prescribed in scripture. Rather, they believe the Incarnation is celebrated all year, and the emphasis is on frequent communion with the focus on the death and resurrection of the incarnate Christ. For them, then, there is no holiday "contest" between the Divine and the secular; many of them enjoy celebrating secular aspects of the holiday, but it is precisely because of their respect for the Father's authority that they do not celebrate a manmade liturgical calendar. The origins of ritual and the evolution of cultural traditions are complicated. Thanks for providing some thoughtful discussion, and Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, you are exactly right. For the sake of word count, I didn't address that. I'm actually sympathetic to that position and believe it to be a legitimate one. I also very much appreciate the daily focus on the Incarnation. If we can't do things from faith out of a good conscience, we can't please God. It's a slightly different context (unclean meats), but Romans 14:23 applies here, I think.

      "But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin." (NIV)

      Delete
  2. Heartfelt, convicting and full of truth.

    While this was written primarily about Christmas, it should (and did for me) make us think about other ways we have substituted created things for the creator Himself (Rom 1)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true that parent's should communicate to their children about the real meaning of Christmas. I still think that the Santa aspect of it is still a fun thing for children, and gives a little more memories of Christmas to children. But I do agree that Christians should give Christ the the utmost importance in the time of the holidays.
    - Shelby Shelton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know when I was little, I always had a hard time deciding where to place my North Pole Snow Village in relation to the Nativity scene. For me at the time, my faith in the fact that Jesus died for me and my faith in Santa were pretty much the same. So I see what you are saying about the confusion there. To children who don't understand the concept of eternal life, Santa's tangible presents sound more appealing.
    -Mallory Bryant

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good post. I think that Santa is okay just as long as he is not emphasied over Christ, when you ask a child what Christmas is all about the response should be Christ not Santa. I have a distant family member who was taught about the tooth fairy, santa and the Easter bunny and they had trouble telling her about Christ. Her response to Christ was "If Santa, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny are all fake, how am I supposed to believe Jesus is real when I can't see him?" My uncle also claims that if he paid for expensive presents he wants credit for them;I thought that was funny. I think all thses fictional characters can be a stumbling block to salvation if parents aren't careful.
    -- Jordan Williams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, my parents never told me Santa was real. They told me it was a make believe game people play for fun around Christmas. I never ruined it for other kids, though, and I don't feel like I missed out on Christmas because of it. My mother stated that her fear was that we would begin to question all things we can't see, including God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents didnt tell me that santa was real or not, but as you grow up of course you realize that santa is make believe. I dont think santa is a bad thing to believe in, but every kid gets to that age where they figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont feel like santa is a bad thing to believe in. I never really believed in the whole santa thing growing up because my parents never really inforced it. I feel like the kids today think of Christmas more as the presents and santa and all those things, and not the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas is about celebrating Jesus' birth and what he has done for us. Santa can be a good and bad thing. As long as you dont forget the true meaning of christmas.
    -Haley Carter

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents at first tried to tell me there was a Santa, and then me being a genius kid, asked my mom if she was Santa. She of course replied with yes. So ever since then, I haven't believed in Santa and thought all of the other kids that believed were dumb. On the flip side I don't see Santa as a bad thing to believe in, but it does seem wrong when people forget about Christ's birth and just focus on Santa. -Matti Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Santa has become such a big deal that it is hard not to think about the stories of Santa at Christmas time. I also think it has gone to far when parents must go way out of their way to make sure their children don't discover that he is only a myth. The story of Jesus' birth should be more evident at Christmas time, especially amount Chirstians, after all, it is CHRISTmas!
    -Megan Ledbetter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with most of these other comments. I grew up believing in santa but with Christ as a larger focus around this time of year. It is an issue if Santa does become a bigger deal than Christ's birth, but if parents keep it under control, I seem no harm in santa. It is just fun for the kids.
    -Katie Jo Henley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really don't think Santa Clause has any business in Christmas. I will tell my kids that Santa is real. Santa is just a distraction from the true purpose, as pointless as the Easter Bunny. Jesus is all that should be focused on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My parents told me about Santa not being real as soon as I asked them about it. They didnt lie to me but told me the truth. And I think that is the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think its okay for your kids to believe in santa but as soon as they think that his story is real or more important than the real christmas story of Christ than you need to nip the santa story in the bud-Ancil Lea

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Santa is a nice concept, but shouldn't be enforced in a Christian home. However it is difficult to not indulge in classic Christmas movies which insinuate magic and Santa, therefore silently affirming his existence.

    Hannah Hitchcox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Santa is a fun story to tell kids when they're little, but it's not something that should be kept on forever. I know somebody whose parents told them Santa was fiction from the very start because they didn't want their kids to put God in the same category as Santa. I can see the moral dilemma for one is faced with, but I don't think there is anything wrong with Santa Clause or the belief in him as long as Christ is still your main focus.
    -Catherine Lee

    ReplyDelete
  17. My parents told us that Santa does not exist from the very beginning. They were very clear in their beliefs that it only takes away the focus from celebrating Christ and family. I agree with my parents' decision for us. Sure, Christmas movies that involve Santa his helpers are a tradition during this time of year, but actually convincing children of something that does not exist, I feel, is a waste of time and effort.

    -Caleb Dather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caleb, you pretty well summed up my position - "a waste of time and effort". right on.

      Delete
  18. While I do agree that Christmas should be Christ-centered, I do believe there is a way to incorporate Santa without taking away from Jesus. My parents taught us that Santa was a man who was so consumed with God's love that he gave to Children all around the world on Christmas.Santa was used as a allegory to me for someone so changed by Christs love. I am not saying that Santa should be a must in the Holidays, but I do believe there is a way to do it right.
    Audra Staley

    ReplyDelete
  19. I took the poll a few weeks ago. I think that it is ok to incorporate Santa into Christmas, however I do see how Santa could take over Christmas. I think that it is ok to do this unless you get carried away with the whole concept. Great post. I would share this with some people. --Brent Clay

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly, I would have to agree that the concept of "santa" just isnt a good idea for a Christian houselhold. As clearly stated above, the story of santa clause is simply taking away from the understanding that a young child may have of the real purpose of Christmas. At such a young age, I do not believe that children need the extra confusion.
    ~Jessica Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe that involving Santa in Christmas is not wrong, but the parents of the child should make it clear that Santa is not real, nor the reason for the season. Parents should definitely take the advantage of the holiday by showing their children the true meaning of Christmas, Jesus Christ. But, if the children want to continue believing in Santa, i believe there is nothing wrong with that.
    --- Hannah Cates

    ReplyDelete
  22. For some people, Santa Clause is a distraction from the true meaning of christmas. I think as long as parents make sure their child knows what Christmas is really about, then Santa Clause is just a fun little story and tradition that makes children happy. At some point they will eventually come to the conclusion that Santa isn't real.
    --Saige Wood

    ReplyDelete
  23. Santa Clause to an extent can be good for kids, but if it takes away the true meaning of christmas then it is a bad things. I beleive its the parents job to teach there children the true meaning of Christmas and make that more important then Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This had some great points. My family loves Christmas, but we have always known the true meaning. Right after Thanksgiving in the center of our coffee table is the Nativity.The birth of Jesus is talked about. We also have Nativity Scenes in our house all duing the year. Letting children believe in Santa is ok if parents do not take it to far. Anna Cain

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post reminds me of a story that my mom always tells us. When my brother was younger, he asked if santa clause was real, because some of the kids at school had said that he wasn't. My mom blew the question off with a mere "of course he is," and continued shopping. Then my brother turned to her and asked, "mom, is God real?" My mom immediately realized her mistake and told my brother that santa clause was not real. At such a young age, children just do not need the extra confusion that the story of santa clause brings.
    -JESSICA WILSON

    ReplyDelete
  26. As a kid, Ive always thought that santa would come inti my house in Christmas and leave something for me. Now, i know that it is not true and honestly, i agree that santa distracts one from knowing the true purpose of Christmas.
    Leeah richarda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Didn't you talked about this in class? This post made me think about the real meaning of Christmas again. I agree that we should think more about purpose of Chistmas instead of thinking about santa and how many presents I will get in this Christmas. -juwon

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think kids need santa to enjoy their christmas. But as you grow older, I don't think santa should be in christmas because he is fake. Christmas should be known as Jesus birthday. Christmas is a holiday for Jesus and not for Santas.
    -cindy cho

    ReplyDelete
  29. I believe that the teaching of santa is ok but not to a great extent. But parents must put the focus on informing the children that Christmas is a day for the birth of Jesus. Though it the idea of santa might be fine for a short time, I think that we must know the true meaning for Christmas.
    -Zachery Son

    ReplyDelete
  30. I believe that Santa itself is not bad. However, I do think that Santa distracts people from commemorating Jesus' birth. The real meaning is sinking into oblivion. People should focus more on Jesus than worldly desires like gifts and Santa.
    Kousei Yamamoto

    ReplyDelete