Monday, July 16, 2012

My Top 15 Favorite "Christian" Music Albums (in order)

I hesitate to refer to any music as "Christian," because it is a qualifier that I believe should only be applied to a person who confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and commits to following him. Christians can make music, but music cannot be Christian. Nonetheless, there is a market known as "Contemporary Christian Music" (CCM). My choices for favorite albums may go beyond the traditional (and I think, arbitrary) bounds of CCM.

This list is limited to music I actually own (legally, of course [1]). Click the album title for a YouTube clip of my favorite song from the album (if I have one in particular).
  1. Sufjan Stevens "Seven Swans" (2004) or "Come On Feel The Illinoise" (2005) (tie)
  2. **NEW** (updated 1/5/13) Lecrae "Gravity" (2012)
  3. Jars of Clay "Much Afraid" (1997)
  4. Gungor "Beautiful Things" (2010)
  5. David Crowder* Band "Church Music"(2009)
  6. Flame "The 6th" (2012)
  7. Caedmon's Call "40 Acres" (1995)
  8. Mat Kearney "Nothing Left To Lose" (2006)
  9. Fair "The Best Worst-Case Scenario" (2006)
  10. Poor Old Lu "The Waiting Room"(2000)
  11. Jars of Clay "Redemption Songs" (2005)
  12. U2 "The Joshua Tree"(1987)
  13. Johnny Cash "American IV" (2002)
  14. NEEDTOBREATHE "The Outsiders" (2009)
  15. Switchfoot "The Beautiful Letdown" (2003)
  16. John Reuben "The Boy Vs. The Cynic" (2005)
Honorable mentions: Orange County Supertones, Skillet, Relient K, DC Talk, Third Day, Switchfoot, Anberlin, Leeland, Kutless, Stellar Kart, Sixpence None The Richer.

Please comment about other albums that may be in your top 15.
-----------------------------------
[1] To see my position on digital piracy, read here.

15 comments:

  1. Although it has an honorable mention, Leeland has some phenom worship music. All 3 of their albums are really legit. But Needtobreathe, U2, and Switchfoot are definitely where it's at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. john mark mcmillan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with "Redemption Songs." I think "Unforgettable Fire" is a better U2 album than "Joshua Tree." It is from the days before they were mainstream pop. You probably weren't born yet. (kidding)

    Laura Shelton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke Fraser - Albertine
    Nichole Nordeman - Wide Eyed
    DC Talk - Jesus Freak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about "Jesus Freak" for sure, but I don't ever listen to it anymore. I originally had it on the list but then cut it.

      Delete
  5. I love "Beautiful Things" by Gungor, and Newsboys are also fun to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me just open my iTunes and see.
    In no particular order.....

    Young Oceans (free on Noisetrade)
    Phil Wickham
    Derek Webb
    Oceans Above
    Parachute
    Matt Wertz
    Plumb
    Shawn McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  7. my top 11

    TobyMac (Momentum)
    David Crowder Band (Church Music / Give Us Rest)
    Tenth Avenue North (Over and Underneath)
    Switchfoot (Nothing Is Sound / A Beautiful Letdown / Vice Verses)
    Needtobreathe (Everything... Daylight / The Heat / The Outsiders / The Reckoning)\

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are all awesome albums! i love needtobreath! they are one of my favorites. i was hoping to go to their concert a couple weeks ago. it is great to hear all the christian artisit because they are all so inspiring! - Haley Carter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gungor's "Beautiful Things" and NeedtoBreathe's "The Outsider" are probably two of my favorite albums of all time! I love non cheesy, or should I say "non Carmen", music. Christian music can sound like other genres, but have meaningful lyrics instead of a lot of the garbage we listen to because we "like the beat".
    -Mallory Bryant

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 2 favorites from your list are U2 and Switchfoot. I thought Lecrae would at least be on one of the lists. Anna Cain

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Gungor's album, "beautiful things." I really love the idea of different styles of music within he Christian genre because I feel like so many times it sounds exactly the same and it is hard to enjoy. Matt Kearney is also one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already replied to this roughly a year ago. But I love you recently added Lecrae to your list! My new youth pastor is a fan and I feel like I'm going to have to start getting accustomed to hearing him. I really like his stuff, I just have a tendancy to enjoy things that are more catchy and understnadble. But I still have really loved the stuff I have heard from him and he has such an amazing heart for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the songs we sing in chapel. Christen music could be really good. At first i thought it would be all boring and that but the songs in chapel, they all have meaning ps so i like them.
    -cindy cho

    ReplyDelete