Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Loving the Tired Outsider: Developing a Theology of Culture

Cultures organically develop over time in the midst of societies in order to make the members of those societies feel more comfortable. Collective comfort is established through various cultural expressions, such as art, music, language, architecture and food. There are micro-cultures (e.g. companies, neighborhoods, and even families), and there are larger-scale cultures that emerge in geographical regions, countries, and continents.  By definition, cultures are insular--designed for the benefit of those on the inside. Leaving our parent cultures can be exciting and richly stimulating, but, over time, it becomes difficult and tiresome, because life is no longer comfortable.

Being a Christian expatriate

The longer I live as an expatriate (from the Latin for outside of the father land) in South Korea, the more prone I am to negativity and cultural fatigue and the more I need to develop a biblical theology of culture that is grounded in Jesus' commands to love my neighbor (Matthew 22:38-40). I need to be reminded that Korean culture does not exist for my comfort. Nor should it. It exists for the comfort of Koreans who are just trying to get through life. Jesus called me to Korea (and its culture) in order to love my neighbors, and it is my burden to absorb the shock of cultural conflict--not theirs. It is very frustrating that I can't do something as simple as pay my bills without help from a Korean speaker, but it is my burden to learn Korean, not theirs to learn English. Koreans have different attitudes about traffic laws, about holding doors open for strangers, about dealing with fussy children, and about inter-personal conflict. It is my responsibility to learn Korean ways of navigating through these issues. If I am unwilling to love Koreans enough to take on that burden, I should go home.

Embracing this burden sacrificially requires entering into other cultures eyes- and ears-first. We must put away our personal colonialism and become observers. Watch and listen without trying to bring our superiority to the situation. It is an incarnational approach that is found in the Gospel itself. Christianity is the only religion in which God became one of us for our salvation, rather than demanding that we become like him. (Philippians 2:5-8) Christian sojourners must be willing to take on the flesh of new cultures if they are going to show Gospel love to them.

Being a Christian host

The expatriate life has also sharpened my ideas about the treatment of immigrants to the United States, my father land--the land where I am a patriot. The concept of loving the foreigner who sojourns in the land (Hebrew, ger) is even codified in the Old Testament law (Exodus 12:47-49; Leviticus 18:26). The Hebrews were commanded to love and accommodate "foreigners" who sought to become citizens of God's land by treating them as equals. [1] I may or may not live in the United States again, but, if I do, I'm certain to encounter those brave and fatigued souls who have wandered into my culture. Perhaps they have even come to love and serve my culture. Or, perhaps, their circumstances are so dire that the resources of my culture were their only hope to survive. What do I know about them? They are tired. If they are there for more than a vacation, above all else, they are tired, and the tired need a Sabbath rest. There is no group or institution on this planet more suited to give rest to the weary than the Christian Church that is obedient to Christ. (Hebrews 4:9-11)

As an act of love, Christians ought to be looking for the cultural outsiders--the expatriates--and be a refuge for them. This principle has countless applications. It means befriending a migrant worker and helping him to get his English-language paperwork in order so he can go to work without fear. It means offering to pick up the Chinese college students to drive them to the Asian market so they can feel somewhat at home for a few minutes. (It's not really Chinese as they know it, but the longer you're away from home, the more "close enough" starts to feel really good.) [2] It means choosing to sit with the new 8th grader in the cafeteria at lunch, because she doesn't know the first thing about how people make friends in this new culture. It means moving into a poor neighborhood to befriend the desperate and broken-hearted. It means sending small tokens of their home culture to missionaries in the field who are secretly struggling to adjust. Quite simply, it means sacrificing yourself to help outsiders feel like insiders just as Christ brought us into the Holy Community of the Trinity.

 -----------------

[1] The OT law differentiates between foreigners who settle among the Jews with permission (ger) and foreigners who are merely passing through or settling without permission (nekhar, zar). See this helpful article from James Hoffmeier for some explanation. Hoffmeier helpfully deals with the issue of illegal immigration, but that is not the subject of this post.
[2] In my experience, the "American" food that I ate upon arriving in Korea was really pretty bad. However, after about six months, it is now the best American food I've ever eaten. In reality, it is not about the food; it is the mental relief of stepping back into the familiar, if only for a few moments.

38 comments:

  1. A very thought provoking and helpful post this is, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really thought about how hard it is for other people to move to America. We always hear about the trouble families face moving to other countries, but I had never thought that there are people even in Conway, who feel isolated in a foreign culture that I could be reaching out to. Awesome post! - Mallory Bryant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mallory. Find one outsider you can befriend and help out.

      Delete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed what you had to say about culture and your own feelings inside your own situation. I have found that this can be applicable to any situation for a Christian. We are called to conform to God's law and His will. This can be difficult in any culture. On one end of the spectrum, we are to reach out to others and love those in our culture. We have to do this without assuming superiority, living distinctively, and practicing discernment. On the other end, we can not conform to what we view as sinful nature if that is what society is practicing. We have to reach out without conforming, but at the same time embracing society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that there are things about Korean culture that are different but not sinful. I can embrace those things. There are other things about Korean culture that I cannot do or support in good conscience. Sometimes discerning these two things is difficult.

      Delete
  4. very nicely written out, i hope that you can adapt to the culture so you can spread the Gospel to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandon. Pray for me as I try to spread the Gospel.

      Delete
  5. This is actually extremely relevant to senior bible class. So relevant that we now have an assignment on it. Thanks, Obama. Anyway, joking aside, I completely agree with your post, and I feel like I need to keep this in mind when I eventually leave Arkansas. Some day, I want to go to Japan, and I don't think all the anime and manga in the world will prepare me for the change in culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does President Obama have to do with this project? Just curious. My experience as an immigrant has made even more conservative about immigration reform in some ways but more liberal in other ways. While I think Christians need to do more to minister to immigrants, I do not necessarily think it is the federal government's role to support all immigrants. Jesus commands to love neighbors is primarily for individuals, I think.

      Delete
    2. Haha, the "thanks obama" thing is just a joke. people seem to blame the president for all of the world's problems, so I was just poking a bit of fun at obama.

      Delete
  6. Great post. I think that people sometimes want/expect others to conform to their society, until they are the outsider--then they want the insiders to conform to them. I'm totally guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right, Bailey. Humans are just inherently selfish. We want it both ways.

      Delete
  7. Can only imagine the difficulties of a new culture. Not only the language and society being different, but also the religion being vastly different. Life is not always about being comfortable. The first way to bring people together in Christ is to bring them together on a cultural basis, the same language and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Life is not always about being comfortable." You're exactly right! Life is about taking up a cross to love God and others. Crosses aren't comfortable.

      Delete
  8. hey Charlie its MacLaird I just want to say that I am supposed to comment on this blog for a class grade, but I also really like that you are trying to hard to spread the word of God to the Koreans. In other news I figured out a combination of Yugioh cards that warrants me a 13500 attack ration if I set it up right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear about your Yugioh revelation, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I miss you, MacLaird.

      Delete
  9. As someone who has experienced the slightest culture shock from moving to a different city and having been at a different school, I can say this is very accurate. I have definitely experienced this myself: and as for the seeking out students that are new and trying to figure out what's going on, I have made several really good friends I've made from last year that were also new students at the same time I was, and simply connecting through that newness and camaraderie of being in an unfamiliar environment brought me to the realization that I have to step outside what used to be the norm for me and learn the culture of that new place. For a long time I kept wishing for things to be the same, trying to keep the culture of Conway while I was completely missing the point that I had to learn the culture of Searcy in order to make friends and not feel so lonely. Culture shock is not exclusively defined to something as large as moving to another country, as many people believe. Even something as simple as moving an hour away can lead to a form of culture shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you identified with the 8th grader that I mentioned in the post. You're very wise to see yourself in this. I hope you'll always remember your experience as the new kid and use that a way to identify with outsiders. Jesus gave you that experience for a purpose.

      Delete
    2. Yes, sorry I forgot to clarify! I fully believe that He did, and that this is a valuable experience that I hope to carry into my interactions as I move on to college and when I encounter visitors or new members at church. Hope everything's well with your family! God bless!

      Delete
  10. God tells us in His word to present our lives as living sacrifices, and I can assume that one sacrifice could be to get out of our comfort zone to do what He has called us to do. Doing His will is not always easy, but the eternal rewards will be well worth it. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, brother. Giving up the comfort zone now for an eternity of joy is totally worth it.

      Delete
  11. This has really opened up my eyes on how I view foreigners coming to the United States. We shouldn't just ignore them because we think they're different, we should go out and interact with them and try and help them adjust to our culture in anyway possible. -Christian Cox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should help them to adjust to their new culture. I trust that Jesus will help us to adjust to Heaven. That will be quite the change. ha.

      Delete
  12. It is interesting to see the bit of differences within the communities (what you give examples of to help the other people and things.) All that we know is what we know in the U.S., to some people that is all the world is i guess .-. Very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend spending significant time outside of one's own culture. It is so eye-opening. I think this can even be done within the U.S.

      Delete
  13. This provided a very interesting perspective into what it is like to move to and live in a foreign country from somebody with personal experience. I would have to say that I definitely agree with you and how you say that other places are made to accommodate those who are native to that place and if someone from the "outside" is to move in it is only right that they learn and adapt to that culture. It is also good to hear from you and I hope all is well with you and your family. God bless. -Andrew Steely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I entirely believe that it is my responsibility to adjust to Korea. I also believe that immigrants to US should have to adjust to the US, but Christians in the US should have compassion on them, because it is a difficult adjustment.

      Delete
  14. I always find myself being somewhat judgmental about people from completely different cultures, who cannot even speak English, living in America. I never actually imagined myself being in that situation, but now that I think about it I realize how harsh I've been. I like how you made the connection between Jesus stepping down into our world to make us feel at home and us inconveniencing ourselves to make foreigners feel at home.
    --Saige Wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that immigrants to the US should adjust to America, and this includes attempting to learn the language. However, Christians should be reaching out to help them out of compassion. Immigrants have difficult and exhausting lives.

      Delete
  15. I’ll bet living in a foreign country really alters your take on immigration. In America, the idea that American culture is better than others has been instilled in every individual. I think it would be humbling to move to a different country where different traditions and languages are represented. Americans are ethnocentric, holding their traditions higher than those of other cultures, perhaps exchange students or immigrants. Living in a country other than the United States would be a good experience because it would teach Americans how to adapt to other’s cultures as well as how to hold people from another culture with just as much value as those from perhaps America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Americans are definitely culturally arrogant, but I think most cultures are. Korea is extremely ethnocentric--even more so than the US. There is a great distrust of anything non-Korean here. This is partly for good reason--Korea has been victimized by many cultures throughout the centuries, in particular Japan, China, and Russia.

      Delete
  16. I haven't really thought about how difficult it must be to conform to a different society. Having to learn their language and how people react to those outside of their culture must be hard. I know I am not one to go out of my comfort zone very often, so I can see how it can change one's view of how Americans react to those from different countries. I think as Americans, we get too caught up in ourselves to be patient with those new to our culture. Having been to a different country, though only for a couple of days, I somewhat understand trying to understand and adapt to the environment around us, the language barriers, and the differences in what we believe. I will pray for you as you continue to adapt to the culture and spread the Gospel. -Kaleigh Cochran

    ReplyDelete
  17. Throughout the years, I’ve learned a great deal about Christian beliefs and have been constantly reminded of our duty to win others to Christ, but recently, I have also come to a life changing revelation. I whole-heartedly agree with Mr. Mooney. We cannot expect to successfully impress our culture or beliefs upon others if we are not willing to understand the culture of others.
    As Americans, I think we sometimes forget this principle, thinking that our ideas are the best and that everyone else should follow them. However, we must put ourselves in others’ shoes. They most likely believe that the culture or religion they have always lived by is right. I believe it is hard for individuals to accept that there might be something better than what they are doing due to the fact that change is uncomfortable and stagnation is not. In this case, I think the issue goes a deeper than just being uncomfortable with change. By admitting that you have been living according to faulty principles, some for their entire lives, people are forced to admit their mistakes, something no one likes to do. It might also be in fear of what their culture does to converts from the standard religions. Some would be killed, and others could be exiled. If we were in that same situation, consider how difficult it would be to be put to death by or exiled by your own family.
    Mr. Mooney made a point that only in Christianity does the savior of the religion go to the people instead of expecting them to come to him. This speaks volumes to the way Christians are expected to present themselves. We are expected to go to others and approach them in a way that will help them most to understand God’s message. We must put their needs before our own in order to satisfy their spiritual needs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For me and a lot of times I do not want lead through things but I think I should. This year I have learned a lot about myself as a Christian. One of the things I have learned is that being comfortable is not always right and loving others is a must. Relationships are messy and everything is not always black and white in an adult world. Loving others and leading by example are two qualities that are important to live by and I want to get better at both. This article made me think of how lonely life can be and just by living in the moment and being a more tolerant person to others can change not only another, but myself. -Anna Cain

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm happy you've had so many unique experiences as a result of your evangelism. As an ex-Christian atheist, I would like to ask if Christ's divinity is essential in considering whether his teachings are worthy of notice? Do fairness, love, and compassion have to have a "brand" on them to make them worthwhile? Is divinity, or being a Christian, a pre-requisite to possessing these qualities?

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is amazing how God has worked in your lives. I think that the courage to move to a different country (culture) would be very difficult and problematic. I am worried about how I will adapt to American culture when I go to college, even though I have a little knowledge of American culture as I have got along with many American friends. I can't imagine immigrating to a place I have no knowledge of their culture and language. It is also more problematic when you have a family. However, God has made it work and will help you adapt to this culture. I hope you can be able to find comfort in Korean culture some day! -Kousei Yamamoto

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been some countries and I couldn't get along with their culture. It was really hard to understand their culture. I am afraid that when I go to college in America, I won't be able to get along with the culture. I think I need some your help how to adapt the culture fast and easily. -Juwon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Although people might claim that I've never been an expatriate since I lived my entire life in Korea, I personally felt that I was an expatriate when I entered international school for the first time. Everyone could speak English and I was not accustomed to the culture. Reason why I got accustomed to this culture later was because my peers helped me out. So, I think the concept of helping expatriates is a really agreeable. I got question for you as I was reading this post. Do you consider Koreans as expatriates in Korea, or yourself as an expatriate?? Don't you think non-Christians are expatriates in this school?

    ReplyDelete